English Setter - Is there a working type? Questions

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by muttzrule, Apr 27, 2011.

1. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael

English Setter - Is there a working type?

Couldn't think of a better place to ask this question. Is there such a thing s a "working type" English Setter?

We had one in this weekend that looked nothing like any Setter I've ever seen, ever. She almost looked like an English Pointer with long fur.

She was tiny, only weighed 34 lbs. Her fur was longish, but nothing like the level of coat I'm used to seeing on the lush setters I see here. She was predominantly white with very faint orange ticking and orange patches over her eyes/ears.
    If he hadn't identified her as an English Setter, that is certainly NOT what I would have called her.

The only difference I could think of was that she was a trained, working gun dog. So maybe this was a "working strain" where I'm used to seeing the "show strain"

Does such a thing exist? Maybe it just exists here? (I'm in the US).
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Yes, there is definately a working type English Setter, known as the Llewellin type, they are totally different to the show type, Laverack, they are about the size of a spinger spaniel and smaller all over, don't carry the coat of the show type.

I took this from the English Setter Association site:

Laverack Setters
    The modern English Setter owes its appearance to Mr Edward Laverack (1800-1877) who developed his own strain of the breed by careful inbreeding and selective line-breeding during the 19th century. The modern show-type of English Setter is frequently referred to as the Laverack-type. He was the author of the book entitled The Setter, published in 1872. This was considered to be the definitive book on the breed and was the basis for the creation of the English Setter Standard.

Llewellin
    Setters Mr Richard Purcell Llewellin (1840-1925), based his strain upon Laverack's and concentrated on developing his ideal of the working setter by breeding a number of other strains with his own. The modern-day working setter is frequently referred to as the Llewellin-type.

Hope this helps :grin:
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The extravagant coat of the show setters would be entirely impractical in the field, so you find that working dogs of all breeds tend to have much less profuse hair!
  5. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I agree, you should see what Henry brings back with him, tangled in his coat, every time we go out for a walk. Sometimes we have to stop and untangle him as twigs, thin branches etc., have got so entwined they are pulling his fur and hurting him so he stops dead and won't move...he would never be able to do a days work in the field because of his heavy coat. I would still chose the show type over the working as I like having a glamorous dog to show :grin:
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I don't think I've ever seen a working type in the flesh (unless I've mistakenly thought one was a Spaniel!). I like the look of them based on what I've seen on the internet though.
  7. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    They are beautiful looking, nice natured too :grin:
  8. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I've got one :) and she is a great worker. She is a lovely dog but has a LOT of energy. She doesn't have as much coat as the show and her head is different.

Helen
  9. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Used to work with guy who always had English setters. His last one came from working background. Slightly smaller (not much - suppose depends on the strain) finer built & always on the go. Used to meet them in the country park. He said he could keep her out for hours where she would continually run & still be full of energy whereas the owners he had owned - from show stock where content with a good hours off lead exercise & walk - 3 mile walk to country park. Fortunately he was very dedicated :)
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Hope this works as it's been a long time since I used photobucket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helen
  11. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Have only met the one and she seemed more aloof than the in your face show type..? She was friendly though. I have seen lots of pictures of them and they do crop up in rescue, from time to time, I did consider one, but they do seem even more hyper than the show, I could be wrong though...:002: :mrgreen:
  12. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Charlie's breeder had a working type as well as show - but very different looking - have to say not my cup of tea at all.

There doesn't seem to be quite as much a split between the working Gordons and show - most could do both I believe.
  13. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Anne has another one Rach...I saw her at ESA with it, very sweet but I definately prefer the bigger hairier version :grin:
  14. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Poor dotty, no one likes her lol.
  15. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I like Dotty :mrgreen: my fav looking setter are ones like her :grin: If I lived on a grouse moor and had all day every day to spend out on the moors - I'd have one in a heart beat :grin:

(Allong with a few more GSPs :p)
  16. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I LOVE Dotty :) :)
  17. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I love Dotty too!!;-)
    At least its less grooming!!:lol:
  18. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I'm sure Dotty is lovely - but my preference is the hairier version :) :)

Helen - can you post a piccy - I couldn't see the other pictures? edited - managed to see them ! must have been my computer last time
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  19. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    She definitely is enjoying working them - her other one didn't always do what it was told ha ha - wonder if this one will !

I think I would like to see if they still had that independant streak?

How did you get on at ESA? Haven't been on here for a bit :)
  20. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Oh she is indeed lovely x
  21. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I think she's gorgeous, I loved her when we saw her photos a while ago, but she does seem bigger than a lot of the workers I've seen which is probably why she appeals to me.

What are her lines out of curiosity? :grin: