Hip Dysplasia Health

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by Benjamin1995, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin

Hip Dysplasia

I have a 17-year-old English Setter named Margaux. I noticed her limping 12 days ago and took her to the vet. They did x-rays and said she has severe hip dysplasia in both hips. I cried so hard when I found out, as she has been my best friend since I was very young. My parents bought her for me when I was 4-years-old. The veterinarian gave me some options and I chose to take her to a veterinary college and get her a total hip replacement in her right hip, which is the worst of the two. She is still recovering at the hospital and is on pain medication. I don't know anything about her parents, other than they were hunting dogs. She has eaten Moist & Meaty all her life. She has always gotten tons of exercise, but now we just go for short walks. I've been giving her Nutramax for the past year. The veterinarians have her on anti-inflammatory medications, too. When I visited her today she was in a lot of pain and they increased her pain medication dosage. The procedure cost me $4,700 in total, but Margaux is worth it. The veterinarians told me she is overweight, which is something I already knew. They have put her on a food called Royal Canin to help her loose the weight and help with her stomach problems, which has been caused by the medication. Every since the surgery she has had trouble digesting her food and it was coming out as diarrhea. The veterinarian recommended I feed her a food called Natural Balance when she is discharged, as it is good for large senior dogs. They have been letting me give her some treats called "lean treats" that she really likes. I brought her Greenies a few days ago that were the weight management kind and she loves them so much. I look forward to her coming home so we can start with her new exercise program. I normally just walk her around the block, but that will probably be too much for her when she comes home. But, the vet said we can work up to that after a while.

I would appreciate any advice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC, GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    To be totally honest I wouldn't have put a 17 year old dog through a lengthy operation.

As for food I would continue feeding your dog what you have always been feeding her, but give the lighter or weight watch variety or could try raw food.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Much as I hate to say this, but I agree with Tina and would not put what is, an elderly dog, through anesthesia and major surgery.

Yes I know you love her but you have to think of her quality of life, and living on strong painkillers and anti-inflammatory medications is not really giving her a good quality of life. Especially as the medication is giving her stomach problems.

If she was my dog I would reduce her medication as much as possible, under vet supervision of course, and give her the food she has always enjoyed.

And accept that no dog is with us forever so make the most of the time you have with her. Keep strong, for both you and for her, and show her and tell her how much you love her.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Ah bless her. You must know that the time is approaching when you are going to have to say goodbye. Seventeen is a wonderful age for a gundog, and is a testament to your love and care. I would be inclined to let her enjoy what is left of her life with painkillers and palliative care, and eating whatever food she enjoys the most.

BTW. I love your avatar.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    On a more positive note, my nephew's dog had a hip replacement at almost 12 years old which gave him an extra three years of quality time (minus the four months or so it took him to get totally over the op).

It sounds like your lad has had a very good, long life. Enjoy him now and make tons of happy memories xx
  7. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    Margaux has already gone through the surgery, but isn't recovering like the veterinarians had hoped for. Moist and Meaty doesn't have a weight control version, I don't think, but it has never upset her stomach before, so I really think it is the pain killers and anti-inflammation drugs.

Margaux actually did very well under anesthesia and the surgery went very routine, but her recovery is just what isn't going as planned. The pain killers and anti-inflammation drugs are only going to be temporary. The veterinarians have started putting probiotics in her food today and they feel that should help her a lot, along with the special Royal Canin prescription food. I know she will not be with me forever, but I've been told that she is very healthy, other than the hip dysplasia, and she could live to be 20.

I just feel so bad for Margaux and wish I had done this sooner. I might have made a mistake putting her through this surgery. I know she is very old, but I am just holding onto the hope that she is going to keep on living. Reading everybody's comments has made me realize I made a very selfish decision to have the hip replacement done on her. By the way, Carole, thanks. A friend drew Margaux for me.

I'm really hoping she can recover (13-days since she was admitted and 3-days since the operation). I just want the best for Margaux. I love her with all my heart.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Oh bless you. It was a big decision to make and a very difficult one. Every decision we make is partly selfish, but if your vet said she was healthy in every other way, then I can understand why you made it. It's too easy to criticise, but don't beat yourself up over what's been done - you're at the start of the road and no one can say as yet whether or not the decision was a good one or otherwise. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

Keep that chin up. I'm sure, like me, we are all willing your girl to pull through this and have more quality time with you. xxx
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sending positive vibes to Margeaux and yourself. I really hope she gains strength soon, and all turns out well. Anaesthetic can take some time to leave the system, even in a much younger dog. I'm sure your vets wouldn't have wanted to attempt this surgery if they didn't think that it was likely to be worthwhile. Best wishes.
  10. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you guys. I only put her through the surgery because I want her to have the best quality of life. I feel very selfish, but all the veterinarians agree that she is healthy enough to go through with at least this hip replacement. I'm currently staying in a hotel by the veterinary hospital so I can visit her every day. My parents are watching my other dogs for me. Today she was actually doing much better. She was walking a bit with the help of a sling.

Several veterinarians examined and okayed her for the surgery. She went through just about every blood test imaginable and was seen by a cardiologist. All her blood testing came back 100% normal and her heart is in good condition. She had an anesthesiologist during her surgery, was seen by an animal welfare worker to determine if she was a candidate for this surgery and it would not cause her poor quality of life as well as a cardiologist that did her workup. Tomorrow I will be meeting with a nutritionist and a pharmacologist to determine the best diet for her as well as the best medication to stop these stomach problems. She has also been seen by a radiologist for x-rays and the surgery was performed by a veterinary surgeon. I'm honestly doing everything possible and sparing not a single cent for Margaux.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm so pleased to hear your girl is doing better. Give her a little time to get rid of the anaesthetic out of her system and she should settle down much better.

With all those pre op tests, I'd probably have gone down the same route as you have and monitored from there :) xx
  12. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you, Chris! The veterinarians said she can come home anytime, but I've asked that she stay and receive physical therapy by a professional. I don't feel I could do it properly myself. Plus, they have tons of fancy equipment that home care just couldn't match up to. I did bring a box of her Moist & Meaty, even though the veterinarians wanted to keep her on a prescription diet or a different "higher quality" food. But, it's the food she has been eating since the day my dad brought her home for me and she is now 17 (18 in two months) and I'm thinking it can't be that bad. The vets showed me an educational video of what was done with her leg during the surgery. She is doing better than I would be! I mean, they basically removed her entire leg and put it back on! I call her my bionic dog now. lol
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Everything crossed for her. I hope you have many more good times together xx
  14. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    Thank you so much. I hope I at least have another year with her. Today she is getting her first therapy session, which is passive range of motion. I didn't visit her today, as I needed to head back home and check on the other dogs. Like I said, my parents are watching them, but I feel bad for leaving them for 16 days! Needless to say, I was absolutely attacked with love. I ended up completely getting knocked over and it was a literal doggie pile. lol I will hopefully be heading back up to the university to see her tomorrow. I'm happy to report that her digestive problems have stopped. The vets are going to be feeding her the Moist & Meaty. I know some people say it is a "poor quality food", but as long as the dog does well on it, then what harm is it? The only health problem Margaux has ever had is hip dysplasia and she was likely born with it, right? I've read it is genetic/hereditary and common in English Setters. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes! She may be there a few more weeks for physical therapy. She is free to come home, but I want a professional doing the physical therapy.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Glad to hear your good news. I hope she will be back at home with you soon.
  16. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    Thank you Carole. I'm heading back up to the university to see her today!