Ignoring me Questions

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by edith_19, Dec 5, 2015.

1. edith_19

edith_19 New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.

Ignoring me

I've owned dogs for over 25 years but I am new to English Setters. I have an 11 week old puppy and I am interested to know how others, more experienced than I, actually get their puppies to do anything for them? He ignores me, it doesn't matter if I change my tone or jump up and down holding treats, if he doesn't want to do something he won't. Its driving me crazy..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I know this might sound daft question but could your puppy be deaf, that's possible reason he's ignoring you.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    How long have you had him? Perhaps he's just overwhelmed by being in a new home and will soon find his feet.

I once had a border collie pup who was very reserved to begin with - a complete contrast to puppies I'd had in the past. She turned out to be a wonderful dog.

I've no experience of English Setters I'm afraid, so don't know what they're normally like. Hopefully someone who knows the breed will come along with some advice.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    From what I know of the breed (know a few owners) this is fairly typical of them, they have an independent steak in them, the ones I know have tested their owners to the brink.

Lovely dogs all the same, you just need to find his triggers ,I don't have ES , but my own breed is one that tests you to the limits, good luck with him,
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Vary your rewards - treats, play, fuss, chase.

Keep him guessing and make it fun and interesting. Don't repeat stuff too often. Make every training session short and exciting.
  7. My dogs maid

My dogs maid New Member

Name:
    Peter
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    That behavior sounds familiar to me. I am suprised it is starting so young. Our english setter came to us at 8 months with that attitude. I love him to pieces and he appears to all to be a very laid back and mellow dog which he is until you have to try and make him do something. I have learned he is highly trainable if he is made to believe that he is the one that is making the decisions. Basically they need to be convinced that what you want is in their best interest. This takes patience. I think if you are firm, fair and most of all consistent and you don't give in you will find that he starts responding more...may take his own time to do it but he knows you won't give up. I do a lot of counting to 10. There is a slight difference in that my dog is highly food motivated. If I have food he is standing at attention waiting for my direction. The minute the food is gone so is he.
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I adopted two "Velcro dogs" as adults so no puppy advice here. I would read all I could about the breed and find a good puppy training class.