My beloved English Setter General Chat

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by dickerrich, Aug 15, 2023.

?

See above

1. help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. sadness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dickerrich

dickerrich New Member

Name:
    gary

My beloved English Setter

Riley has been diagnosed with lymphoma. The outlook is not good. We have decided to take a couple of months and treat him with an experimental drug to try to prolong his life is a very sad time in our house.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is very sad when our pets contract serious diseases such as lymphoma. I lost my precious Merry, (avatar <--), to lymphoma in 2021. Her prognosis was 6 - 18 months and we actually got 11 happy and pain-free months with her. I found the social media dog cancer groups very informative, and did try a couple of unorthodox treatments which had had some success for others. They might not have made any difference but it made me feel that I was doing something to help her.
    Wishing you success with Riley's experimental drug treatment.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I do hope the experimental drug works. It's a devastating diagnosis. Make the most of every single second you have
  5. dickerrich

dickerrich New Member

Name:
    gary
    Riley died today at home and in no pain. He deteriorated badly the last two days but. we did everything we could to keep him comfortable. One week from diagnoses to death.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. That was a very rapid decline. You must be feeling shocked as well as being heartbroken.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Heartbreaking. It's a terrible diagnosis that doesn't give you any time at all. Know that you did all you could for your boy xxx
  9. dickerrich

dickerrich New Member

Name:
    gary
    We are still heartbroken walking around in a daze and crying at odd times in the day; particularly when we try to do something that we used to do with Riley. Has anyone any advice.
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes and CaroleC like this.
    I have a friend who doesn’t wait to get another dog when his dog dies. He says it’s his way of honoring his last dog, by wanting another dog in his life.

I’ve only gone 5 weeks without a dog since I got my first dogs in early 1993, Rocky and Sandy. I got a puppy in the spring of 2005, Darkstar, while my first dogs were seniors. When Darkstar passed in October of 2016, I thought I’d wait until the spring to get another puppy. I made it all of 3 weeks before deciding it was time to get another puppy, and I’d been looking at puppies online within a few days of being dogless. It took two weeks to find the puppy I wanted, Bandit. About 15 months later a got his half-sister, Katie Mae. They are the dogs you see in the picture next to my name.

A puppy is a great way to heal a broken heart, by filling your heart with a new furry friend. That’s my suggestion.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with this 100%. When I lost Eddie and Merry the Beagles within weeks of each other in 2021 I had to wait for 4 months for my next girl to arrive. This was my first time without a dog for 68 years, and I felt as if I had lost my identity - like being stranded in a desert. Of course I still miss the relationship that I had with my much loved oldies, but since my new girl arrived I don't have time to dwell on that loss, so much grooming, training, walking, feeding, cuddling and extra washing and floor cleaning too! Time to fill that dog-shaped hole in your life.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    When I lost my golden (I adopted her when she was 13 years old), I waited 8 months to get another dog. That's the longest I ever went without a dog.

Then I adopted a 3 year old shepherd. She died unexpectedly from shock after surgery (she was extremely neurotic). I stayed home from work that day. The day after, when I came home from work, it was complete silence. There was no shepherd whining, no one to tell me how much they missed me, etc. I called my Mom and said "I need a dog". I adopted a new dog that weekend. Five days - that was the shortest time between dogs.

It can go both ways. The one thing I say not to do is try to "replace" your dog. If you decide to get a new dog, don't go out looking for your dog in another dog. They will never meet your expectations. Instead, look for a dog who touches your heart - regardless of similarities or differences.

I will say that losing a pet can be as traumatic and impactful as losing as person. If you are having trouble dealing, it doesn't hurt to talk to a professional.