Thinking about getting an English Setter... Questions

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by Sky'sMama, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sky'sMama

Sky'sMama New Member

Name:
    Lyka

Thinking about getting an English Setter...

Hello everyone. One of the main reasons I joined this forum was for this question, because nobody I know in real life has experience with English Setters and I'm a big believer in knowing as much as possible about a dog's breed before getting them.

Anyway, I've been planning on getting my Aussie/Catahoula mix Sky a sibling for a while now and recently came across a dog that looks promising. She's a 2-year-old purebred English Setter who was rescued from a negligent home. Sky was also neglected so I'm prepared to work with the problems that come from it and though I haven't gone to meet her yet everything her foster mom has said seems like she'd be a great fit for Sky and I both. The only thing is that I have no experience whatsoever with English Setters so I was looking for anybody who has experience with the breed who may have any information, tips, or advice for me. I've researched them and they seem like a breed I could handle well and would enjoy owning but I'd like to be as prepared as possible before going any further. I want to feel confident that I could give this dog the right kind of home she needs.

Thanks for reading and thank you so much for anything you may have that will help.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My dogs maid

My dogs maid New Member

Name:
    Peter
    CaroleC likes this.
    We were blessed with one who was 8 months old at the time. I knew nothing about the breed. Now can't imagine life without him. Mellow yet strong minded, loving, a bit independent, loves to use his nose. We take him out in public all the time and people always comment on how well behaved he is. I have done some obedience work with him and he is very good at it as long as he knows he'll get treats. We also do agility and that has been fun but challenging. He doesn't necessarily see the point. He does a run or two perfectly and then he thinks, "there now let me go sniff." I think you'll find the personality wonderful but quite different than your cattle dog. When I watch the cattle dogs in agility they seem to live to please the owner and enjoy repetition. I've only had one english setter but he lives to pleae himself and in the process he pleases and amuses us with his antics.