Tooth cleaning General Chat

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by My dogs maid, Jan 24, 2017.

1. My dogs maid

My dogs maid New Member

Name:
    Peter

Tooth cleaning

I'm curious if others have found that their English Setters needs frequent dental cleanings? What is reasonable in terms of frequency? Mine seems to have tarter and plaque develop rather quickly. I hesitate to provide bones due to all the warnings about broken teeth or problems with bone fragments being swallowed but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't help clean the teeth. I hate putting my boy under anethesia.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Bones are fine as long as they are not cooked, you can buy rib bones from Pets at Home, or duck or turkey necks, I freeze them and give to my my dog straight out the freezer frozen.... chicken wings are also OK ,
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg had her daily bone meal [turkey necks - chicken carcasses - large sardines or other fish, whole and ungutted etc] bought fresh and individually frozen by me, straight from the freezer. Tikva, being a lot smaller, has chicken necks - chicken wings - and smaller sardines or other fish, also straight from the freezer.

Pereg's teeth were always unmarked - no plaque or tarter, and she never had any problems with them, and little Tikva's are the same. No splintered bits swallowed, it was/is crunch, crunch, crunch.
  5. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    The best way I have found to avoid dental cleanings is to feed raw. My dogs go through their entire lives without ever needing a cleaning. My pup is currently on ground raw with supplementation, but still gets beef neck bones every Wednesday to keep her teeth clean. Beef neck bones are non-weight bearing, so they will not break teeth. Anesthesia is much riskier than providing like raw meaty bones.
  6. RoNulty

RoNulty New Member

Name:
    Rosemary
    My vet, who's very into preventative pet nutrition, recommended a product that creates healthy enzymes in the dogs mouth that deter plaque build up- OraVet Dental Hygiene Chews. My dog gets 1 per day and loves them. I've seen my vet use his thumbnail to pop off plaque from teeth! This is what they basically do ( with instruments) at a anesthesia-free teeth cleaning. There's probably someone offering it in your area. Some dogs won't sit still for it, however but it's an alternative.